- Tantric massage is a form of sensual massage that involves erogenous zones and genitals.
- It is part of neotantra, a Western practice that derives from Hindu beliefs.
- The goal of tantric massage is mindfulness — not to have an orgasm.
Tantric massage is a massage technique that involves your full body — including your intimate areas. The goal is to awaken your sexual energy, deepen the intimacy between you and your partner, and increase mindfulness of sexual pleasure and your body.
Here’s what you need to know about the benefits of tantric massage and how to give one to your partner.
Tantric massage is an erotic massage aiming for relaxing, arousal, and connection between two people while focusing on erogenous zones,” says Tara Suwinyattichaiporn, MD, a professor of sex and relationship at California State University, Fullerton.
Unlike most other massage methods, tantric massage incorporates spiritual elements like mindfulness, eye contact, and breathing techniques.
Tantric massage involves your erogenous zones and genitals, but the goal isn’t to have an orgasm. It’s possible to have an orgasm during the massage, but the focus is on giving and receiving pleasure from your partner.
How to give a tantric
- Set up a comfortable space with dimmed lights and relaxing music.
- Your partner should take off their clothes and you can decide whether to take yours off as well.
- While making steady eye contact, take five synchronized deep breaths together.
- Take a natural massage oil like coconut oil and rub it in your hands until it’s warm.
- With your partner lying on their stomach, start massaging the upper areas of your partner’s body including their neck, ears, and back.
- Have your partner flip onto their back and massage the whole body, including the chest, stomach, arms and legs.
- Next start massaging your partner’s inner thighs, moving into the pubic area.
- Move through all of your partner’s erogenous zones, which can include breasts, vulva, butt, perineum, testicles, and penis.
- Communicate with your partner about what feels good. If there’s a certain area that feels arousing for your partner, focus your massage there to enhance eroticism, Suwinyattichaiporn says.
- If your partner orgasms, keep massaging them for a few minutes while they cool down. If your partner doesn’t orgasm, help them slowly calm their sexual energy until they are relaxed.
- The whole process can take more than an hour, depending on what you and your partner prefer. “Be patient and communicative. This is meant to be a slow pace and mindful activity, it’s not a ‘quickie,’” Suwinyattichaiporn says.